Thursday, August 14, 2008

Flash Experience #1 Part 2 : Complexes Burgers

I've launched the game about a week ago. So now here's the result :

MochiAds : 23,881 impressions, 15,06$


So, first of all, I sended the game on Newgrounds and on Kongregate.

Newgrounds : The game scored 3.20/5, and didn't go on the front page. I got 1300 in three days. But, after 2 days, I got no more impression because the game was too difficult too reach.

Kongregate : The game scored 2.3/5, almost the same as Newgrounds, got 1000 imporessions in 3 days after that, it was over.

Most of the people didn't like the music (as I expect ;P). But the part that interested me, was that most of the people didn't know what to do, even with the in-game tutorial. So that help me to rearrange the game a little.

So after those 2 defeats, I found that page from mochiland : 45-sites-to-submit-your-flash-games. I found it very interesting so I started to send the game on every single site. Here is my first error, i rewrote the description of the game like 5-6 times before i've started a .txt with all the info needed.

So after that, I got not very much more impressions except for one site : http://www.hallpass.com/.
On the peak, I had 5k impressions only on that site. which gave me 3$ a day.

Also, http://www.addictinggames.com/ ask for a non-exclusive sponsorship, I've learn the difference between a non-exclusive and a exclusive sponsorship. Here's a piece of the addicting games e-mail :

· Non-Exclusive-
We will license your game non-exclusively for use on the AddictingGames site. In exchange for integrating our AG splash screen, in game logos, and high score system (if applicable) we will pay you $XXX. This non-exclusive license will be in perpetuity and AG will have the right to promote both itself and the game from its servers.
Please keep in mind, a developer can still sell a license to their game to any other site (and without our branding) and a game CANNOT have a Mochi ad in it.


· Exclusive-
You would gives us the irrevocable, perpetual, universe-wide, right and license, but not the obligation, to use, reproduce, store, promote, publish, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, and distribute the Content and modify the source code for technical compatibility with different platforms and media via Online Distribution on the Site (the “License”).
Beginning on the Effective Date and continuing until 7 days following the Launch Date, the License granted above shall be exclusive (“Exclusive Term”). Following the Exclusive Term, the License shall continue on a non-exclusive basis for the remainder of the Term.



So, at large, an exclusive sponsorship you give your game (You keep the IP) and a non-exlucisve involve that you take game game, tweak it a little to put the ads of the site, and you still can sell it on other site.

I verified for the non-exclusive sponsorship whcich appeared like a trap to buy your game to me, but you can see the game Dinorun on different sites with different brand on it. Miniclip, addictinggames and Newgrounds are exemples.

I found that post too on Mochiads : flash-game-monetization-making-money-the-pain-free-way
which explain different and concurrent way to monetize a flash games : A MUST-SEE

Conclusion for that experience :
- Just don't rely on site you know, submit as many as you can.
- Make a folder with the following infos of your games
Icons on different format from 50x50 to 120x120, jpeg and png
Description
Intructions
Controls
Authors comments

- Make a contact list with all the email address of interesting portals (Check at 45-sites-to-submit-your-flash-games.)
- Learn from comments of player. 90% of them will be : "Awesome Game" or "Worst game ever!", but some will be interesting.

Next week, I will launch my second game named Bobo & Popo. That time, i'll try with GameJacket.

3 comments:

Smith said...

Nice blog, This will be really helpful for me in the future, thanks. i was just wondering about how much money you made, and if you think it was worth while.

I guess you would need more than 5k views to make any real money

Lachhh said...

As I said, I made 15$ in a week (3 beers !) and i don't think i'll earn more. But keep in mind that only Hallpass.com was a success, which gave me 20k impression itself. I reed on Indie Gamers that a REALLY good game can make 50$/day, hallpass gave me 3$ per day, and it wasn't the real-kick-ass-game-of-the-universe, so i guess that it's possible.

I reed someone saying :
"I learn 2 thing about being an Indie
-You can earn money as much as you will never earn
-You can lose money as much as you will never lose"

As I expected, Eat Nasty stuff fell in the second, BUT, the long-term knowledge acquired worth a lot more.

BTW, how did you learn about this blog ? :D !

Smith said...

Yeah I guess you can't can't expect much for your first game. I can see there is potential for earning a lot, if you make a game that is popular.

I got to this blog when searching for blogs with stuff about newgrounds in them